Summer Tax Reminders!

WI – Child Sales Tax Rebate – Hurry ends July 2, 2018

If you haven’t already, applications are being accepted by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue to claim $100 rebate for Wisconsin Sales and Use Tax paid on purchases made for raising a qualified child in 2017. Hurry, applications must be received by July 2, 2018!


There are two ways to apply – online or via telephone:

– Online at This will be available 24 hours per day/ 7 days per week, this method is the fastest and most convenient way to claim the rebate. Applications can be processed using a computer, tablet, or smart phone.

– Telephone at 608-266-KIDS (5437). This will be available Monday – Friday, 7:45am – 4:30pm, a customer service representative will file a rebate claim on your behalf. This option is available for those who do not have access to the internet or have issues using the online application. There may be significant wait times for a representative.

More information is available on the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website at this link –


WI – Sales Tax Holiday – August 1-5, 2018

Sales of certain items are exempt during a five-day period in August 2018 known as the Sales Tax Holiday. Just in time for great back to school shopping! The temporary exemption period will begin on Wednesday, August 1, 2018, and continue through Sunday, August 5, 2018.

During the sales tax holiday, the following items are not taxable:

  • Clothing, if the sales price of any single item is $75 or less,
  • A computer purchased by a consumer for the consumer’s personal use, if the sales price of the computer is $750 or less,
  • School computer supplies purchased by the consumer for the consumer’s personal use, if the sales price of any single item is $250 or less, and
  • School supplies, if the sales price of any single item is $75 or less.

For more information, click on this link –

Summer Daycare, Camps, Tax Deductible

Yes, payments to daycare, summer camps, and even babysitters for your children under age 13 may be tax deductible if paid so that you could work. The credit can be up to 35% of expenses paid. Such expenses include summer daycare, camps, babysitters, and even housekeepers. However, overnight camps may not qualify.

To qualify, you must meet all of the following:

  • Have Earned income
  • Be a Custodial parent
  • Child must be under 13 years old
  • Childcare provider cannot be your spouse or the child’s parent
  • Paid so that you can work

For more information see IRS Publication 503; Child and Dependent Care Expenses.


Thank you for reading my blog.

Please “Like” and “Share” our FaceBook page.

Have a Wonderful Day!